We are becoming a community which is unafraid of and skilled at inviting our neighbours to join our community as new companions on a common journey into the heart of the Christian mystery.
As former Archbishop of Canterbury William Temple said, “The Christian Church is the only organization on earth that exists for the benefit of those who are not its members.” We want to speak clearly about the claims of Jesus Christ to our wider society and provide opportunities for those who are here to grow in their understanding of what it means to be a Christian witness on the Journey.
This past year our Mission Council set a three year goal that we would improve in our ability to invite newcomers, track visitors and connect newcomers to follow-up steps.
This area of ministry includes:
● Welcoming visitors warmly; greeters and clergy will make efforts to connect with newcomers personally before and after worship services.
● A way to connect with newcomers through newcomers lunches and follow-up letter.
● Providing rides to church, a ministry of members.
● Specific training that will help bolster members’ confidence in inviting neighbours.
● The start of a Godly Play Children’s Ministry that will appeal to thoughtful parents in the wider community and those familiar with Montessori Schools.
A newcomer says…
“I’ve found St. Matthew to be a place where I can explore faith in a safe and welcoming environment”